Thursday, December 01, 2005

A Child's Secret Wish

When I was in the church Christmas program back home as a child, I remember one year an older girl was given a solo for the song, "What Child Is This." At the time I thought it was so beautiful, so angelic, and I secretly wished it could be me singing it instead. I'm sure I wasn't old enough and wasn't a very confident singer either, so I was never considered for a part like that.

Fast forward about 20 years.

Last night at choir practice for the Christmas cantata, Dr. Sue asked me to sing the solo in the Christmas story medley for "What Child Is This." I tried not to smirk or grin funny, but inside I was a little girl jumping up and down with glee that I got chosen!

I admit, it's a simple thing. Most people have solos in the program, and I have taken voice lessons so this is no big deal. The difference is that it will be the teary-eyed, giddy-hearted child in me singing this time. I wonder if anyone will be able to hear that?

No comments: